Saturday, July 26, 2008

and a dream ends.

e date was march 15. my first formal training to compete in e National Lion Dance Championships this year. i was 21 then, in e sport for more than 4 years. we thot, "why not?". if we procrastinate more, we may just be too old for it already. n i seriously thot we're technically ready to compete on e biggest stage.

i was e drummer, originally. but by e next training, i was converted to 狮尾 to better suit competition requirements. no problem at all. i like to think i can take on different challenges. moreover, i was trained from my earliest days as a 狮尾.

it is now 4 months n 11 days later. tmr was to be e big day. my zone qualifier for a shot at e finals at ngee ann city. but for all e hard work n sacrifices, it's over before even e first sound of e drum.

we were supposed to have a final run yesterday. but on thursday my sole felt extremely uncomfortable. it's been niggling me for weeks, often at trainings. it's an old injury, i believe hurt twice before, first by a bad landing, then an accident when a bench dropped on tt foot. but e full extent just came back without warning. so i told myself, rest it well, if i cant rehearse one last time, just chiong on sunday itself. giving up never once came across.

indeed, like a miracle, thru my attentive massaging of healing cream, icing e area, n just stayin stationary, on friday morning things were lookin up. but i knew i better not risk it, so i chose not to train a final time. i followed along to watch em, tho, to give em moral support. tt trip out of my comfort zone aggravated my foot a little, n e pain once again became throbbing.

like how many people around me had advised, n since i decided against going out on competition eve, which included e temple trip, i should at least pray at home. friday night, things returned to original n when home, in e dark, i kneeled, with tt excruciating pain, infront of my 观音菩萨's altar. i prayed i'll recover by sunday, if not 100% at least good enough to compete, tt we've all come a long way n this is not fair, tt im only 36 hours away n ur my only hope.

most of my teammates travelled to 四马路's 观音庙 today. im sure they prayed for my well-being. but also for e competition. so i had to recover. sheila told me she'll pray for me too, n i trust she will. if e elements are punking me now, at least im trying to get e gods onto my side.

n when i woke up today, my biggest nightmare happened. or rather, i wouldnt even have dreamt of it. e toe area felt quite e same, but out of nowhere, theres now a sharp pain in my ankle n i cannot almost move it anymore. before this, i could still force myself to compete with a pain in my sole n toe. but without my ankle, i can do nothing. i cant 坐头360, i cant climb e steps, i cant leap across e 'valley'. this being my left ankle, i also would not be able to execute e three 单脚.

how did my body fail me so badly. each time im battered down i come back stronger n go for more. this time, i think even e divine could do nothing. or is it intended? tt was my first thot. for all e calls for intervention, i actually received something worse tt outright denies me. is it fate, is it written? it seems like i wasnt answered, but could this be e answer? at tt moment i felt so spiritual. maybe i really shouldnt be competing.

i had resisted seeing a doc coz i know they'll prevent me from competing or wrap up my foot dramatically. then i realised today i need to get an MC in e scenario i really cant recover. it cant get us a postponement, but we'll get an honorary withdrawal. if we just disappear without explanation, we'll receive a 3-year ban from any lion dance activity. so how did an old injury return with a worse swell? how did something totally different pop up n so intense? apparently they could be linked. e GP reckons a possible stress fracture accumulated over time. i'll know after an x-ray.

e whole team came all e way down from west coast to my clinic in hougang. i hated myself for bringing em down, but they reassured me my body's e most important thing, tt we can always compete next year. it was encouraging. e superstitious jiajun even said this could all be a sign, to prevent me from competing, maybe something bad might happen, tt im being protected by higher entities. shannon related tt when 黄师父 heard e news, he shot back to e day we 点睛 for our new competition lion, when we dropped e two 大吉 n 大利 attachments from e lion's crown, an ominous n unlucky sign, tt he already felt uneasy. benwei n vincent just kept insisting tt my foot's staying with me rest of my life, competition's only this time, n i should think carefully.

am i disappointed. i would be lying if i said no. i wanted to get this done, a milestone in my life, be able to say ive competed in e nationals. i trained so hard n for so long. some days when there were only me, jiajun n adrian. or even on one occasion only e two 狮头狮尾. i can proudly say from e bottom of my heart i did put in alot. when i was struck with e recurrence, i still truly believed i would compete, altho i had only 3 days to recover. i thot, ive come this far, even if i limp i will still go out there n do it.

e team n other people who knew about it were worried for me, at e same time disappointed about how things have turned out. i wanna say im ok. i take it in my stride. im optimistic, but im not sure about what. coz when i think of it, i sink again. i wanna say sorry to my teammates. i dont know if u all know how much this opportunity means to me. tho we've ran into problems, n not everyone could commit on e same level, i would not have had this chance without each n every one of u. 黄师父, sorry n thank u as well. all u did was out of ur own generosity. i cant repay it.

n now im goin back to Hall IV FOC with a bandaged foot n on crutches. how our world is always characterised by such amazing revolutions. last year i had to retire from this very camp due to anaemia, which ive never suffered from previously, on Day 1. this time, im all ready to be part of it. n now this.

1 comment:

  1. i felt so sad when i read this post. i know it sucks when this happens. my leg hurts too and my competition is this wk and nxt. intend to chiong all the way and not let my team mates down. but i don't think i ll regret my decision. i hope not.

    ReplyDelete