Sunday, September 16, 2018

Carpool Adventures

picked up an (C***) Ah Lian. somehow she was in mid-sentence when she entered, like we had been speaking prior. the topic was the app, or another driver, or me. I do not know. I was broken instantly.

she was angry. like real Lian angry, which explains my C*** prefix. after about 300 words from her mouth in the first minute, I kinda figured out someone booked the ride for her and she's pissed. Ah Lian's remarkable debating skills, without pause, smoothly switched to the victim of her phone call, soon revealed to be the dude who booked the ride. he is not her boyfriend, I think. but he suffered nonetheless.

Ah Lian let rip her fury like she's scorned. her language wasn't as colourful as you might predict, but there were shouts. plural because they came in waves. she would shout at unusual points in her speech, like she needed a Toastmasters class. as I had turned down the radio for her phone call, here I was alone in a car with a shouting Ah Lian. the funny thing was, in between her waves of fury were ebbs of tenderness, in true Ah Lian style, as if the KBKB were a habit, not a mood.

the dude on the other hand, based on Ah Lian's rant, repeatedly provoked her, which made me conclude he's an Ah Beng.

this went on the entire trip from Serangoon to Queenstown.

while still making no sense at all, Ah Lian's topics comprised going to a halfway house, working nights, changing SIM cards, getting exiled from her family, her father marrying a Vietnamese bride, and resisting this Ah Beng going to her house (you get it).

astonishingly, when she hung up near her destination, she again smoothly switched back to me mid-sentence, in a way that I'm privy to her entire life story.

finally, we arrived. she asked how much. I replied Ah Beng already paid on his app.

SHE SAID: 错怪他了 (I wronged him).

No comments:

Post a Comment